Ways to be more healthy - How can I start sitting less?
A height adjustable desk is an incredible way of reducing the time you spend sitting down, but what else can you do for your health at work? The are endless opportunities to be more healthy at work - Here are some more ideas...
While you read on, note ways that you currently use and comment below!
- Whether you are sitting or standing, ensure your posture is good and try to change positions regularly.
- Drink lots of water. It is good for you and creates natural comfort breaks.
- Have some meetings standing.
- Try walking meetings.
- Think about your tasks. Some are better suited to standing.
- Raise your sit-stand desk up to high at the end of the day. It makes life easier for cleaners and forces you to re-position it in the morning.
- Raise the desk when colleagues approach to talk to you and have your conversation standing up.
- Stand for telephone conversations, especially if you need to be assertive – or walk and talk.
- Stand to sort papers and files.
- Sending an internal email? Go and speak to the person instead.
- Park as far away from the building as possible. Do the same when you go shopping.
- Use the stairs, not the lift.
- Wear a fitness tracker and track your steps. Compete with yourself to improve your average.
- Do stretching exercises at your desk and/or on the move.
- Enroll in health programs.
Have you got any other ideas? How do you use your height adjustable desk? How do you manage to stay healthy at work? Comments welcome!